Monday, August 31, 2020

August Natural Treasures Challenge Entries for Something Yellow/Orange

 For the month of August our Natural Treasures Challenge theme is "Something Yellow/Orange". Artists have been inspired by the golden colours of summer and the especially warm weather we've been experiencing here in Ottawa. So far we've had three entries for this month's challenge. Lauren Foster-MacLeod completed a study of a squash flower in watercolour from her garden, Celeste Dion painted a Helichrysum in coloured pencil, and Mary Atkins painted three quirky carrots from her garden in coloured pencil. Visit again, as we may have some late entries. The theme for next month is "Changes".

OSBA member, Lauren Foster-MacLeod was inspired by our August theme for the "Natural Treasures" Challenge to paint a squash flower growing in her yard. Lauren writes: "Watercolour study of a female squash flower. I started from life, but realized that these flowers have a very short life, and that it was gradually curling up as I was painting it. The small pencil sketch below shows how it looked earlier in the morning. It was all curled up and finished by noon. Watercolour on mixed media bristol, in a sketchbook"


Squash Flower in watercolour by Lauren Foster-MacLeod


Helichrysum in coloured pencil by Celeste Dion


Mary Atkins provided commentary on her carrot painting: "This is my submission for the August challenge. I was inspired to draw my uninspiring carrots. Simply put "I CAN'T GROW CARROTS". For many years I had a vegetable garden, and some years were more successful than others. So several years ago I had converted it to what I called my experimental garden for flowers. This year though, I thought I would follow the pandemic craze and attempt to grow vegetables again. The tomatoes, beans were somewhat successful, but for me carrots, as in previous years, only grow about 3" (7cm) deep and then turn a corner and grow every which way but down. This was done with coloured pencil on Dura-Lar drawing film."
Helichrysum in coloured pencil by Celeste Dion
Carrots in coloured pencil by Mary Atkins


No comments:

Post a Comment