Tuesday, November 17, 2020

November Natural Treasures Challenge -- Stayin' Alive

 As we enter late Autumn, there are still a few plants that continue to display live folliage. Mary Atkins has taken advantage of the plants that are "last to leave the party" and has captured the colour variations in her spirea leaves. This painting was completed in coloured pencil on Fluid 140 lb. cold pressed watercolour paper. 

Mary commented "This is a cutting from one of many spireas that seemed to be holding up after being snowed upon. Mind you, this is my second cutting. The first one I procrastinated in getting started and it shrivelled up on me. So, with the second clipping I imediately started drawing it and then took several pictures. It too shrivelled up pretty quickly after being cut but thankfully I had the pictures. I like how the back of the leaves contrasted with the more colourful frontside."

Next month's Natural Treasures theme is "Festive". 

Spirea in coloured pencil by Mary Atkins


No comments:

Post a Comment